Literature is life..

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Antigone vs Anike

Antigone and Anike is almost the same story. I prefer Antigone to Anike because the challenge of the language makes me feel I want to read more and finish the play as soon as possible and since I’ve already read Antigone, I wasn’t as eager as to read Antigone to Anike. Anike, being set in Malaya, is something that could be seen very eerie.The description of the play is very gory and the things that make Anike is different frm Anike is their characters’ names and the usage of the words. Other than that, they are almost the same. The language in Anike is easier, yet, after reading Antigone, I got bored while reading Anike. The setting is clearly been set up in Malaya as we can hear the sound of our traditional instrument and the usage of Malay words, such as taugeh and nenek moyang. The environment of this play is quite effective in order to differentiate Anike and Antigone.Wong Phui Nam, has done a good job on transferring Sophocles’ work into his own work, but for me, what is the purpose of rewriting the same thing. Couldn’t he write on something else? Whatever it is, Dr Edwin has done a good job on giving us this opportunity to study both plays and differentiate these plays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home